Friday, May 8, 2009

My Oranda's tail is shredded with no apparent fighting while the other fish is fine. Is it some kinda disease?

A few weeks ago, the upper part of my oranda's tail is shredded in the center near the base. I didn't know what caused it so I added salt and observed the fish for a few days. There was no fighting and all the other fish is fine. A couple days ago I noticed that the upper part of the oranda's tail is getting shorter and shorter. Is it ill? What do I need to do?
Answers:
I would add Melafix and Pimafix together. Sounds like tail rot. The combo I suggest will cure both bacterial and fungal infection. Make sure you take the carbon out of the filter during treatment. My oranda had this problem a few times and the Melafix and Pimafix always fixed it. watch your water quality too.
maybe it's fin and tail rot. You can get medicine for it at petco or petsmart.
That's called fin rot or tail rot
here is a link on how to treat it
http://www.kokosgoldfish.com/finrot.html...

Hope that helps
Good luck

EB
to untrained eye it may look like fin rot or tail rot but that disease
starts from the tip towards the base
if it starts from the base outwards its "china disease"
its a very uncommon disease
you have to immediately put your fish in a hospital tank this diease is one of the most contagious diseases and and almost always leads to death and treat it with aquarium salt there is no cure for china disease i am sorry to say but the salt might stop it if you caught it soon enough
but the infected area starts to turn black it is to late and your fish must be put down.

No comments:

Post a Comment