Sunday, August 2, 2009

Problem with dead filter. Any help?

I just realized my filters dead, it doesn't filter the water, it just runs over the top of the charcoal and sponge. I'm getting a new filter this afternoon as soon as I can. Its an AquaClear mini and I've been having problems with it for weeks. I looked it up on the internet and the warrenty is only for two years and I've had it forever. The motor still runs but it doesn't work anymore.
My problem is that since my filter wasn't working, my tank looked dirty; so I decided to clean it. I've just realized its dead after I put all my fish in a pot, and started taking the gravel out to clean it. I knocked up all the fish poo so the water looks like mud and clearly I can't put my fish back.
I have three black phantom tetras and a pleco in my 10 gallon tank. Any suggestions on how to get the filter to work? Best course of action?
I didn't have the best luck with my last fish question but I'm going to try again. Please no stupid one word answers.
Answers:
You should be using a gravel vacuum weekly to change 20% of your water and suck the dirt out of the gravel even if you have a filter.You should never move your fish out of the tank or totally empty it to clean this is very stressful for them .If you haven't been doing this that is why your tank is so dirty and you need to start ,it will be much better for your fish,so you should get a gravel vacuum (about 5 dollars)at the same time as your new filter.
If you don't know about cycling your tank try reading this as well.
http://www.worldcichlids.com/faqs/cyclin...
Obviously the best thing to do is go get a new filter. Until you have one and the tank is clean and running with the charcoal to clean the water you should keep the fish in the pot they are in as long as it isnt too small. Make sure they arent frantic, or if necessary transfer them to a larger pot and add some water but dont throw out the water they are in now since they are used to it.
As far as filters go I would suggest a Penguin Bio-wheel. Expensive but mine never died in 4 years and it keeps the water looking really good longer than a Whisper or Aqua-Clear.
Forgive me if I'm insulting your intelligence here because maybe you do this, but you didn't mentioned whether you rinse and ocassionally change the filter cartridge, charcoal, sponge, and/or whatever media you have. If you do rinse and ocassionally replace your media, then yes, I would say your filter is not working properly, however, if you do not rinse and ocassionally change your media, I would suggest buying a new cartridge for your existing filter before buying a whole new filter. And yes, I agree with the Answerer above. A filter is not going to filter out all of the debris that collects in your tank. You must siphon the detritus from your substrate once every week.

No comments:

Post a Comment