Thursday, July 30, 2009

New aquarium set up help please?

i have around 200-250 minus the fish if i were to buy a kit that comes with the tank hood bulbs net heater thermometer filter i have fish food and water conditioner i know the basics i have some experience with aquariums but i cant remember pricing
the kit is 160.00 us so that only leaves me with 50-75 roughly can i do it its 55 gallon by the way and i have time because im gonna cycle the tank for about a month
Answers:
If you are near a fairly large city, Craigslist is really the way to go. If you were near Seattle, I'd love to give you filters, heaters, gravel, etc! There are lots of people out there that have extra stuff, and once you get it all set up, it doesn't look 'used'. I used to have six or seven tanks set up, and have downsized simply because of the time it takes for the fish I like. You should be able to find a really nice set up complete with accessories for $100 or so. My husband just recently bought me an entire set up for a 46 gallon bow-front tank for $100, and it came with everything, including a very nice stand, lights, and everything else. The stand alone in the pet store here is over $200. For my taste, I like a planted tank , and the fish I keep like the security to have someplace to hide. Plants are a little less expensive than decorations, but that is not to say you can't have both. My first 65 gallon tank and stand I found for $25 from someone at my husband's work (so tell your friends and family to keep their ears open). We had to reseal it, but the aquarium silicone maybe cost another $20, and it was very simple to do. I found another 55 gal. tank, complete set-up, for $100 through the classified ads. That one came with a 'python' to make my water changes super simple. So, what I am really saying, is that if you are patient and take the time to look around, you can find great deals. You can find fish through the internet, classifieds, and I've even got a couple of discus free off craigslist.org. Good luck, and happy hunting!
$50-$75.00 would probably cover the cost of a cheap filter, gravel, and maybe a bottle of dechlorinator. You could at least get the cycling process started with that.
I'm not sure what your question is. Are you looking to buy a tank for cheap? If so, try craigslist and keep an eye of fish magazines for sales.
Water is pretty much free, but decorations/gravel can be expensive. fish are relatively cheap, depending on type, and some pet stores have a guarantee. You could probably do it if you don't mind how the tank looks. I'd suggest saving a bit more if you want it to look nice. Decorations are a very expensive part :(

No comments:

Post a Comment