Thursday, July 30, 2009

New fish owner. Please help!?

Recently, I bought two goldfish. A Rosy Red and a Goldtail. Both of them seem to swim to the top and "sip air" Is that normal? My older sister and I cleaned the tank but they still do it. I am assuming it's normal. Another thing I wanted to ask was, what times should I feed the fish? I feed them as soon as I wake up (9am or rarely 10am) but - timewise - when should I feed them again? Should they get fed once in the morning, one in the afternoon, and one at night? Or once in the morning and once at night? I want this put in times please! Thanks!
Ex.- Feed them at 9am and again at 10pm
or something like that!
Answers:
Yes they "sip air". I don't think it matters what time you feed them ... I feed mine in the morning and afternoon...
check out www.thegab.org for lots of cool info
i have two gold fish too! sipping air is normal because my fishies do it too! i used to feed my fish 3 times a day, but i lowered it to once a day at night. they really dont need that much food, or they will become obese (lol!) i think for your fish, two times a day is more than enough. im thinking 9am and 9pm.
Like most fish, goldfish are opportunistic feeders. When an excess of food is offered, they will produce more waste and feces, partly due to incomplete digestion of protein. Overfed fish can sometimes be recognized by feces trailing from their cloaca. Goldfish need only be fed as much food as they can consume in one to two minutes, and no more than twice a day. Extreme overfeeding can be fatal, typically by bursting of the intestines. This happens most often with selectively bred goldfish, which have a convoluted intestinal tract as opposed to a straight one in common goldfish. Novice fishkeepers who have newly purchased ryukin, fantail, oranda, lionhead or other fancy goldfish will need to watch their fish carefully for a few days, as it is important to know how much the goldfish will eat in a couple minutes of time.
Special goldfish food has a lower protein and higher carbohydrate content. It is sold in two consistencies - flakes that float at the top of the aquarium, and pellets that sink slowly to the bottom.
Goldfish enthusiasts will supplement this diet with shelled peas (with outer skins removed), blanched green leafy vegetables, and bloodworms. Young goldfish also benefit from the addition of brine shrimp to their diet. As with all animals, individual goldfish will display varied food preferences. In any case it is better to feed them a variety of foods listed above.
two times is feeding the fish is ok
i have a five fishes and i also give them feed only two times a day 9am and 10pm
and also i ask from the person which give me these fishes
he said two times is perfect
so feelllllll cool %26 relaxed
It is normal for fish to sip air from time to time but they should not be gasping for air t the top all the time.
It does not matter how often you feed your fish as long as you dont overfeed them, It is better to underfeed than overfeed. Excess food rots in the water and makes the water bad and toxic for the fish to breathe.
Also is there enough oxygen in your tank or bowl. If the water is not oxygenated with air filter, then there should be a large surface area and the water should not be too deep. If the fih are in a bowl the water should only be filled to the widest part.
Polluted water and lack of oxygen will make fish surface breathe.
That is normal. I feed my fish when I come home from work 8:30am and feed them at 10 or 11 that night on my way to work. And they do just fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment