Friday, July 31, 2009

Phosphates?

i've been trying to lower my phosohate levels for about 2 weeks now. my tap water has about 1 ppm and i tested some bottled water and some distilled water and they were 1.5ppm and 2.0 (or above)ppm respectively. phosphate sponges are a good temporary fix but i am looking for a permenant fix. reverse osmosis isnt really an option for me any suggestions?
Answers:
I feel obliged to answer, seeing my name mentioned here. Yes, you can get RO at SuperWalMarts. It's the Culligan water dispenser somewhere in the store. You'll have to buy their refillable containers, and I use the gallon sized, which cost about $1 each, then you fill them at the self-serve station. The jugs come in different sizes, but the containers get more expensive the larger you go (I think it's about $15 for the 5 gallon container!). The price of the water varies around the US, and I actually only pay $0.25 for mine, but other users have mentioned $0.33 in their areas, so I use the higher figure - I don't think anyone will complain if something ends up less expensive than expected!
Are you having a problem with algae in the tank? That's about all the phosphate will influence. I find it odd though, that you got a measurable amount in distilled water. That shouldn't have any in it.
It is almost mandatory to keep a health reef to have an RO/DI filter. they do make a tap water filter that is cheaper but if you really look at it in the long run those need the membrane replaced much more often so within a few months youll be spending more than just the initial $150 minimum for the RO/DI in your last post you said you were thinking of going with plants but as someone said its the plants growth that will remove the phosphates. So youll amost need to overgrow your reef for that method to work. I know my local fish store sells RO water for 50 cents a gallon but then you gotta lug the buckets home every week. Phosphate sponges are def a temporary fix so honestly i dont know anyone that will tell you that there is a better way than to just use RO/DI water, its like someone saying that you dont need to use any method to remove chlorine from your tap water. coralife makes an RO/DI filter thats $150 and there are many others that are in that price range. Thats really the only way to keep a reef.
oh yeah i forgot copperhead saying that walmart had the RO water for like 33 cents a gallon or something. But either way the only way is to use RO whether you have your own RO unit or keep buying water for your changes.
Copperhead told me about this one - Go to Walmart. They have R/O water there. Apparently, they sell it in large containers. This is the best option for you if buying a R/O unit is out of the question.

No comments:

Post a Comment