Friday, July 31, 2009

Oranda with Ick and Swollen belly?

I have a red-cap oranda, just a baby. I have put it in quarantine, he's been here for 10 days, fine. He started to showing white spots on fins, so I began ICK treatment with Sera Costapur (containing malachite green, formaldehyde...). I took out the carbon from filter during the treatment. Aeration flowing fine. I'm already on the 5th day of treatment and I do not see much change in terms of spots, expect for the fact that the fish is actively swimming and eating. It states on instructions that in severe cases to continue med on 5th and 7th day, which is what I will do. And I've read that some people continue for 14 days to prevent ICK breeding again.
During the time I started the treatment, I noticed that my Oranda's belly got swollen. It isn't too big, but still enough on each side to point his scales. And it looks like dropsy. I'm not sure if the med could be the cause of this, or if the fish had internal parasites. I'm not sure what to do about the swelling...if to wait or not.
Answers:
If it's scales are pineconing, then that's a classic sign of dropsy. It very well could be from internal parasites or an internal bacterial infection, or both.
Add some epsom salt(not aquarium salt) to the tank, that helps with swelling. I would add 1/4 teaspoon per 5 gallons. I would go out and buy an antiparasitic and antibacterial food and feed both of those to it and see if that helps any. Jungle Labs makes both kinds, about 5.00 for each one. That way it'll get the meds inside the fish-and will cover both if it's bacterial or parasites.
Dropsy is very difficult to treat, not impossible, but difficult and most fish don't make it-especially when they start pineconing.
It is highly unlikely that your medication is causing this.
However the ineffectiveness of your treatment combined with your possible Dropsy leads me to believe you have poor water conditions.
Dropsy is much more prevalent in poor conditions with a poor diet. It is a usually a kidney infection caused by aeromonas bacteria. Neomycin in the Gel Tek food by SeaChem is useful here. Kanamycin can also be effective; however Dropsy is often incurable; for more about Dropsy, please read this article: http://aquarium-answers.blogspot.com/200...
Back to tank conditions as this is MOST important, as all the best possible medication will not work in poor water conditions.
Malachite Green in particular is not very effective in low pH, GH conditions.
Here are recommended parameters for goldfish:
*Ammonia/nitrites- 0
*Nitrates -under 50 ppm
*GH- 150-200 ppm
*KH- 100 + ppm
I highly recommend soaking ALL dry foods in water for 5 minutes prior to feeding for goldfish as this also prevents aeromonas infections. Also vary the diet between a good pellet such as Sanyu or Hikari with some Spirulina Flakes, and Brine Shrimp in the rotation as well. Avoid Tetra Fin.
Please read this article for more information about ich:
http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/...

No comments:

Post a Comment