Thursday, July 30, 2009

Nematodes in fishtank?

I'm assuming they are nematodes from what I've researced on the internet. I own a 10 Gallon freshwater fishtank with 1 mystery snail, 2 guppies, 1 sailfin molly. Noticed little white worm like things swimming around, they stick to the glass, they're making the tank look horrible! I've cut back on how much I feed them, but after a week of doing that, they are still there.
Do these hurt the fish at all? And, is there anything I can do our buy to get rid of them??
Answers:
Actually I have the same problem in my 29 gallon. I think what you're looking at are larvae of some sort of fly. If they are staying close to the gravel and swim with a squirming snake like motion that's probably the case. My fish have been living with them in the tank for a few days now and none of my fish are sick. I never see them going after my fish and my fish never have them hanging off of them and when I stir up the gravel they eat them. If you want to get rid of them I'm sure any sort of parasitic medication would do the trick but since they are harmless just vacumming them up when you clean your gravel and letting the fish eat them would be fine.
Edit: After doing a little research I found that these could well be nematodes after all. I now believe that's what I have in my tank too. Don't worry, they are still harmless unless you have fish eggs in the tank and all your fish are livebearers :) I got a link for you to read up on them. http://www.kokosgoldfish.com/nematodesan...
Nematodes great word.
their poop
It's possible they are nematodes, but more likely midge larvae. No either case, they aren't harmful to the fish, but can be indicators of less thanthe best water quality. The best thing to do is vacuum the gravel well to remove as many as possible and clean the filter media as midges will lay eggs there. If you still find them to be excessive and unsightly, they can be killed with a single dose of most any parasite medication, but please address the cause first.
MM

No comments:

Post a Comment