Friday, July 31, 2009

Picking out tetras for 29 gallon?

I'm deciding to pull all of my guppies out of my 29 to put in my 55 gallon. I want to set up a community tank in my 29 but I am not sure which fish to go with. I was thinking a few species of tetras, some rasboras, and some cory cats. I'm looking for a low aggression level in the fish, some aggression is okay as long as it's temporary. I'm also looking for a low bio coming from the fish so that I will be able to stock the tank with at least 5 or 6 of each kind of fish. Any suggestions?
Answers:
In a 29 gallon your options are wide open and you can go with any smaller sized tetra. Stick to smaller ones like neons, cardinals, head-tail lights, glowlights, rosy, etc. and you can fit more in and give them more space. Just avoid known nippers like Black Widows and Serpaes. Go with larger numbers of less species though, and the tank will look much nicer - one group of 12 tetra's look way better then 2 groups of 6.
I think a group of neon tetras (about 6), a small group of cory cats (3), and some rasboras (sorry, I am not sure how many should be kept together, depends on the breed) would be nice.
BTW, Ghappy, 1 school of 12 or 2 schools of 6 is the same! They would probably school together.
Actually - they won't school together.
I have a 38 galloon with Tetras and some others - and among the tetras I have Neons, Black Neons, Emperor Tetras and Blue Tetras.
They all school separately.
The neons at the bottom, the Blacks at the top, and the Blues and Emperors sort of just dart all over the place in no particular order.
Although I do agree that one huge school of Neons is much more impressive than a small school of 6 of them :)
Here are some Tetras that I'm particularly fond of (in no particular order):
Gold
Cardinal
Blue
Lamp Eye
Emperor
Rummy Nose and Bloodfin
Lemon
Congo
check the link below. this is where i get most of my fish information that i require.

No comments:

Post a Comment