Wednesday, July 29, 2009

My water became dull, what do I do?

I bought a new filter and now my water is dull, I don't know what to do. Please help me!
Answers:
If you replaced an old filter without preserving the old media, then you've virtually destroyed your bacterial colonies. You may be experiencing bacterial bloom, as if in a new tank. Test for ammonia and nitrite - if there are signs of either then the tank is going through a new cycle and you need to do water changes to keep the levels down, and try to get your hands on filter media or gravel from a mature tank to put into your own filter, to re-introduce bacteria directly. If you don't measure any toxins, then your tank is probably going through a harmless type bacterial bloom and will clear up on its own - you can do water changes to help speed it up.
Change 30% of the water, re-insert the filter, make sure the cartriges are insert correctly, put the guage in high, for maximum water flow.
Good Luck
2N!$H

No comments:

Post a Comment