Saturday, May 22, 2010

Question about cycling?

I just asked a question a bit ago about fish recommendation and really started reading up on some of the answers (thank you all by the way) My goodness, I didn't realize how complicated this could be :-P
So here is my setup. I have a 5 gallon tank, with a lid and light for heat. I also have a filter, thermometer, ornament with a small pump for bubbles. I also have gravel. I filled the tank, and used a packet of Tetra brand water conditioner that is supposed to make my tank suitable for freshwater fish.
What do I need to check before adding my 1 or 2 little fish for cycling? What should the temperature be? How long do I need to keep the fish in my tank to cycle it before adding a third tiny little fish? The tank is currently on, with the filter running and bubble thingy going. How long does it need to be doing this before I can add fish?

Thanks in advance ;-)
Answers:
That second answer is a great example of why fishless cycling is recommended. You are killing fish when you cycle with them. And not killing them quickly, either. Why that's okay with some people I can't understand.
Look up "fishless cycle" and see if that's something you're willing to do. It requires testing your water parameters regularly but it doesn't require water changes. And it doesn't require torturing any fish.
As a bonus, fishless cycling is quicker and more efficient than cycling with fish. In a tiny 5 gallon, it shouldn't take longer than a couple of weeks.
Cycling can take a month. But for a 5 gallon with some tiny fish, you can do a cycle with fish in the tank. When the levels get dangerous in a 5 gallon tank, its easy to change half the water. Try changing half the water in a 55 gallon tank every other day and you'll see why people do fishless cycles. Also, buying sacrificial fish you don't even want in the tank is a waste and a selfish thing to do. Make sure you get a test kit with liquid bottles and test tubes. Test strips start to degrade once exposed to air and don't give good results after that. Also, dechlor is the only chemical you need. Don't be fooled by "cycle" or ph adjusters. They are made so newbies kill fish and spend more money. Room temperature will do for almost all the tropical fish you can get. If your house is usually at 70F your water won't get cold enough to harm the fish. The problem could be the water getting too hot in summer. Heaters are pretty unimportant for the average tank owner to have. You won't have a really sensitive species that can live in a 5 gallon tank.
Well I'll try to make this as simple as possible.
The temperature of the tank depends on the fish you want. Tropical fishes need warm water. If you want goldfishes you do not need a heater. To start the cycling process just add like 1 or 2 fishes, preferably ones that can withstand the grueling cycling process, like the zebra danios (but i believe they need to be in a group of at least 3 or 4 or else they start nipping at each other's fins.), or the common feeder guppies (12 cents each). You could use a fish you want to keep, but that's going to take a lot of water changes weekly and the fish won't live too long after the cycling.
Before you can add more fishes (and even then, try to add 1 at a time) you have to wait for the tank to fully cycle.
Quick summary of the cycle: wait a few weeks for ammonia to rise and fall, as nitrite rise and fall. then nitrate will slowly rise. When this happens your tank should be fully cycled. Get a test kit of ammonia and nitrite. you don't even need a test kit for nitrate because after the cycling is done, all you have to do to keep nitrate level safe is to do weekly water change of 15-20 percent.
It took me about 3 weeks to get my first 10 gallon tank fully cycled. Could be faster for you, could be slower, it all depends. Side note, it's summer here, so that's why my tank cycled faster.
Here is a really good page on what to expect throughout the cycling process.
http://www.aquamaniacs.net/forum/cms_vie...
It will be about a month before you can safely add fish to the tank.
If you are cycling with fish, you can add them now, but you must make sure that they are hardy enough to take it. Zebra danios make good fish for cycling because they are hardy enough to take the changes in parameters. You also need to keep an eye on your ammonia and do water changes very often to make sure they stay relatively healthy.
As for temperature, it depends on the temperature range that your fish needs. I don't know what kind of fish you got. Try to have the temperature as warm as your fish can take it, because higher temperatures will speed up the growth of bacteria and thus the cycling process.
I agreed with some of the answers above...I used to havae a guppy in a tank that was in the process of "cycling" - and unfortunately it died. No matter how many times I did a partial water change, I cannot seem to keep the ammonium level down.
What drives me insane was when ever I add the water - the pH becomes acidic and I don't know how to keep the new water the same temp as in the tank so I went into a "panic" mode. I really liked that guppy - I can tell he had total faith and trust in me - especially when he swim to me when I looked at him. It was just so sad to see my fish died.
My advice is for you to do a fishless cycling instead of putting a real fish in the tank.
Temp really depends on what kind of fish you pick. Bettas need the heat, for instance, while other small fishies that can live in there may not. Cycling is important in all tanks, but small tanks are hard to clean sometimes without emptying them totally (since those gravel syphons need room to work) so cycling is a challenge and the key is to keep the ammonia and nitrites down. It is easier than it seems, just make sure you get fish suitable for that tank and set it up right for them with the temp, hiding places, etc., correct food. Then do partial water changes once a week, clean the gravel and always dechlorinate. I like Prime since it also seems to help during cycling to keep the ammonia and nitrite down. Get one of those API test kits if you are worried about cycling, so you can keep an eye on whether the ammonia or nitrites are spiking and need more changes while it cycles. However, in smaller betta tanks I havent had the cycling issues I have had in my much bigger goldfish or oscar tanks. Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment