Monday, May 24, 2010

Salt Water Fish Tank?

Ok guys, I'm setting up a salt water fish tank. I have set one up long ago, but forgot how I did it. I have a 30-35 gallon Octagon tank. I put in half a bag of sea salt (55 gallon bag) and I have let it sit and filter for about 4 hours. The water is still very salty and the hydrometer is off the charts. I have taken out water and put more fresh water in and it's still not clear and very salty. Is this normal for a few hours or do I just have too much salt in the tank? I would think a half of bag of salt @ 55 gallon would be enough or less than the amount I'd need but it seems way too salty. I also have about 2 inches of crushed coral and sand on the bottom of the tank. Any help with this process would be greatly appreciated!
Answers:
I have the same tank that you have. I have many more now. That is way too much salt. Most bags of salt have instructions that say something like one cup of salt per 5 gallons of water. Wait until the morning, and check it again. Make sure it is between 21 to 23 when you check the specific gravity. The tank will be cloudy for a while when you start up a new tank.
mine did that. keep taking out saltwaterand replacing it with RO water in small amounts until your specific gravity is like 1.022-1.026
mine was cloudy for a few days. i let it run for about a week with live rock and live sand before adding any fish.
Most salt is 1/2cup per gallon of water to get you close to the right level. Also some salt does take time to clear up. I have a 90 gallon tank and I do a 16 gl water change every 2 weeks. I normally let my new water mix for 24hrs before doing the water change.

No comments:

Post a Comment