Monday, May 24, 2010

Saltwater Question?

I plan to set up my g/f 55 gallon and cycle it with some of the water from my 55 gallon about 15 gallons of my water. But my question is, if i remove the water from my tank today and store it until Friday will it still be good?
Answers:
I wouldn't I would wait for the new tank and then put the water from th old tank directly into the new one
I don't think it would be in the best quality, but probably still usable.
I wouldn't do it.
If you are going to be using live rock and a sand bed in your new tank you can just seed the sand with a couple of cups of sand from your established tank.
You can also add a few pieces of small live rock from your old tank and replace them later.
I have done this in MANY tanks now and they cycle VERY fast, 2 to 4 weeks.
The bacteria that is needed to cycle the tank doesnt really live in the water it is more in the rock, sand and filter. So when you set up her tank you can just take a cup of your sand or maybe a small piece of your live rock and add it into her tank. Another thing you can do is use one of your filter pads. replace one of yours with a new one and add your filter pad into her filter. this will make the tank cycle really fast. hope this helps and good luck with the new tank.

No comments:

Post a Comment