Monday, May 24, 2010

Seachem Prime for cycling through nitrite stage?

Would seachem prime really detoxify my nitrite levels when they spike? If so this would keep the fish safe through the nitrite cycle (rescue fish I am aware that he should not ideally be in an uncycled tank). If this would work plz give some advice on how best to use it. If it would not work for some reason plz let me know.does it really detoxify nitrite and ammonia or is it just misleading and clever advertising??
Answers:
I personally don't like any of the cycling aid products on the market. While salt will certainly help witht he nitrites and will in no way harm your goldfish at thosse levels, waterchanges to keep the nitrites low are the best way to handle the last stage of the cycle.
MM
You can use it but its better just to change water to keep nitrites at bay until the cycle is complete. Aquarium salt helps the fish though the nitrite spike. Salt 1 teaspoon per gallon, if you have fish that can tolerate salt. After cycle is complete ditch the salt. I assume this is a freshwater aquarium.
Salt is scary, if you use too much,yes, and I was scared to death to use it my first time. I freaked out! But, when used correctly, it works miracles. I need to correct the formula though. It is 1 tsp per 5 gallons, not 1 gallon. Goldfish can tolerate salt at this level.
Prime and Amquel and other detoxifiers don't completely remove ammonia or nitrites or nitrates. What they do is convert deadly ammonia into less deadly forms of nitrites or nitrates, so it doesn't get rid of anthing completely. There is nothing like patience and dedication to just seeing the cycling process through via the regular means of water changes. It's difficult to be patient, but it pays off the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment