Monday, May 24, 2010

Sand or gravel?

which is better for a fresh water tank? which one is easier to clean? how would you clean either one?
Answers:
I've always been a fan of gravel. Its easier to clean for me. I just do that by scooping it all into a bucket and then scooping handfulls into a strainer, under running water. it gets out alot of the gunk but still leaves a little "slime" on there, which is good for the fish. I bought this stuff once that was almost like sand and it was impossible for me to clean. I didnt like it, and never used it again. Thats just my opinion though. I've never had a tank bigger than a 29 gallon so removing all the gravel isnt a big deal for me. For big tanks people usually leave the gravel in there and buy this funnel thing that cleans the gravel right in the tank (they're sold at all pet stores and stores like walmart in the pet section)
Definantly go for the gravel its easier to clean and you don't have to replace it as often. The sand you have to replace every time you clean the fish tank out and it gets EVERYWHERE!! WELL GOOD LUCK! :)
gravel is way eaisier to clean and it looks better...
Gravel. That's the extent of my knowledge.
Gravel. Sand is nearly impossible to clean. And you need special filtration, usually used with marine setups. Cleaning is simple with a siphon-vacuum cleaner. You dig down with the cleaning tube, about 1-1//2" dia, to pull all the 'stuff' out of there. It's also a good time to to a thorough job on the glass with a scraper. Usually, you'll siphon out about half of the water while you're cleaning. This is also a good time to do that partial water change you've been postponing. I usually do all this about twice a year. But mine is in full shade.
both you use a sypthoin. i have had both and the sand gets looking dirtier faster and gravel hides it better. both work well sand is easier to clean because you can see the mess but gravel looks nicer.
All Depends on what You Like!
Nothing is the easiest to clean then the largest gravel is next in line with sand being the most diffilcult to clean. The best for most fresh water fish is the smallest gravel you can find. This is slightly larger than sand. With this size grain you can have plants and a wide variety of fish. I don't do this for all of the tanks though since I don't know what type of design you want or what type of fish this is my preference for the largest number of fish and designs.
Gravel is better for a freshwater tank. It is very easy to clean. As far as cleaning gravel goes, I always rinsed it under water then put it in a pot full of boiling water to kill any diseases or bacteria that would possibly harm other fish whenever I did tank cleanings.
gravel...they have fish tank pumps that clean gravel
i prefer gravel because sand makes your tank cloudy.(that's my experience)

No comments:

Post a Comment