Saturday, May 22, 2010

Rock testing for fish!?!?!?!?!?!?

I was wondering if i used the vinegar method to test my aquarium rocks, can I dip them into a bowl of vinegar and still get accurate results?
The reason that I would like to do it this way is because i am going to test about 60 of them and it would be alot easier to dip em and look at the whole rock.
If anyone has done this...am I looking for 100 or so bubles or just a few?
THANKS
Answers:
Vinegar is too weak to properly test rocks to see if they will raise hardness. I would pick up some muriatic acid from the local hardware store. Some rocks won't show a very strong reaction to vinegar and still increase hardness. With the muriatic acid you will only need a few drops on top of the rock, you will know within a few seconds if it is safe or not.
It should just fizz. You could dip it, but that is alot of rock dipping. Are the rocks all the same kind or they mixed? If they are the same, I'd only test two or three. If they are mixed, you should get a spray botte and just spray them as you walk by. Pause for a few seconds at each one, and look for any signs of bubbles. It won't be a fountain of foam or anything, so look closely.

No comments:

Post a Comment