Saturday, May 22, 2010

Red Devil with Fire Eel?

I would like to know if i could put my small tiretrack eel with my red devil if i give him the proper coverage. I was going to put the whole bottom of the tank as big rocks / driftwood with holes and tubes all around. Would he get hurt or would he hide and be ok? I will put the food in his area of the tank and feed the devil at teh same time so there wont be problems, is my fantecy world impossible where the eel and rd live togeher?
Answers:
You are right. It is a fantasy. I am only telling you this because I know it won't work. I have kept many different cichlids, including the red devil, and your eel will get eaten. Putting an eel, or any non-cichlid (with the exception of very large plecos) in a tank under 400 gallons with a red devil is boarder line cruel. I have kept red devils with other fish, but only in very large tanks, which a 55 gallon is not. Please get a separate tank for the eel, or you won't have to worry about it for long, because you won't have an eel to worry about.
make sure the substrate is sand, that way the eel doesnt hurt himselve digging in the gravel to avoid the RD.
RDs will probably kill the eel when he is larger, but if both small and driftwood is added on the bottom plus pipes, he should be ok now.
the devil will eat him soon as he catches him but sure why not if the tank is set up for him he might last a while i had gold fish and oscars and they was about the same size they did ok

No comments:

Post a Comment