Saturday, May 22, 2010

Question about my thermometer in my fish tank?

I bought a cheap thermometer for my 10-gallon fish tank. When opening it, I accidently broke a small piece of glass off the top. (The top of it is open) if I place it a little above water so no water can get into the hole, will it still work?
Answers:
You are seriuously risking shock. You know water electricity thing. Take it back and tell the store it was broke in the box and get a new one. You shouldn't risk your life for fish.
it should work
EB
throw it away why take a chance of killing your fish or yourself
It should, but you should buy one of those thermometers that is a sticky plastic strip that can't break; you just attach it to the outside of your tank and it never leaves.
Don't take chances, and throw it away and buy a new one. That's the safest thing to do.
it will still work, but place it carefully as to not be somewhere you might cut yourself
MM
It will work, but you might want to think about gluing or taping something over the top to prevent water from getting inside (water can get into everything even if we're careful, even just moisture from evaporation or the filter spitting!) and from cutting yourself or someone else.
The mercury in the thermometer is a dangerous poison and can kill you if it even touches your skin.
THROW IT AWAY - but be very careful when handling it. I'd even wear some gloves to be safe.
Yes, your fish are in danger from it also. For something so cheap I wouldn't even risk it.

No comments:

Post a Comment